Welcome to the new Customer Portal! We are still in the process of moving all our customers so please bear with us if you are temporarily unable to log in. You can still email support@vanillaforums.com!

user with sudden posting difficulty

edited December 2011 in Questions
Hello,

A user (name: common sense answer) on the Car Talk board has sent me a couple of e-mails. What is curious is that he survived the SSO migration without a problem, but this is his new report. Thank you for your thoughts:

I was participating in the community discussions earlier today and then when I tried a little later I was apparently not logged in anymore.

I am usually automatically logged in. Where there is usually a dialog box there was only an "add coment" button.

Clicking it takes me to "account information"

I tried logging in, but couldn't. I tried resetting my password, but couldn't. [NOTE: user clarified he requested 2 password reset e-mails, which he received, but he could not use the new password to get in]

I just go back to the "add comment" and then back to "account information".

I have made attempts at different times today, but am getting nowhere.

I am not computer literate and reach a frustration point easily with these things. I have no choice but to give up.

P.S. There's a little yellow box on the "account information" page, while all of this is not happening, that reads "Welcome common sense answer (logout)"

I interpret that to ordinarily mean that I am logged in , however I am not recognized as such.

[NOTE: I asked user to clear cache/cookies in IE, close browser, and return, and this was his reply]

Still, when I click "add comment, I'm taken to "account information" page. There is no place there to log in as most of the page is blank. There's a little yellow box on the "account information" page, while all of this is not happening, that reads "Welcome common sense answer (logout)"

I interpret that to ordinarily mean that I am logged in , however I am not recognized as such.

Does this sound right ?

Comments

• It looks like there is still a case in your system where you aren't redirecting back to our entry/land page which tells our system to double check the SSO again. I can't personally figure out how to get your system to trap me on your account management page, but it seems to be doing so for this user.

I recommend asking the user to go to www.cartalk.com, sign in, and then click on the Community menu item. This will tell Vanilla to re-check the SSO.
  • When I got trapped in the account mgmt page earlier in the weekend (without any prior difficulty) I followed your instructions and they worked for me. (Thank you!)

However, the user (common sense answer) says it didn't work for him. Also, the user bscar/bscar2 has been unable to remain logged in in Firefox, but had been using IE9. He e-mailed me yesterday to say that the problems he previously saw in FF are now arising in IE9.

This is where he summarized his difficulty:
    http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/comment/2913853#Comment_2913853

Does it matter that I see he has two accounts under the same e-mail address?
  • It could be that he has the two accounts with different passwords. I recommend changing one of the emails in the dashboard. What you can do is put a '+2' right before the '@' sign so that 'todd@domain.com' would become 'todd+2@domain.com'.
  • @Todd, it appears that your (earlier) suggestion for the user "common sense answer" wasn't successful. Do you have any other thoughts on how he can regain access to his account?
  • Have you fixed your entry/land redirect on your end? I posted that I saw the problem, but haven't whether or not you have solved that problem on the cartalk side.
This discussion has been closed.