Welcome to the new Customer Portal! We are still in the process of moving all our customers so please bear with us if you are temporarily unable to log in. You can still email support@vanillaforums.com!

Vanilla Forums Blog » Introducing Vanilla Comments: Integrate blog comments to supercharge you

imageVanilla Forums Blog » Introducing Vanilla Comments: Integrate blog comments to supercharge your community

Today, we’re announcing our latest feature: Vanilla Comments. This feature will allow those of you who have a blog or news site to use Vanilla as a commenting system and really engage readers who might otherwise just enter a comment and leave.  (Check out the comments on this article to see what it looks like).

Read the full story here

• This is what a Vanilla comment looks like!
  • Can I do this if I host my own Vanilla forum?
  • "Vanilla is offering a comment importing service. Please contact us if you would like more information about this."

How do I import my existing comments?
  • edited April 2012
    I would like to add comments to the news section of my website. I have a Vanilla hosted forum with a customized theme. Blog Comments under Forum Settings shows embedding is disabled. When I go to Embed Forum it says the preferred method is to use a customized theme. If I click the enable embedding button will it modify anything in my current forum? Can I use a customized theme and embed comments?
  • This is awesome!

But it is available on the freebie self-hosted option?

The hosted option would work perfectly for me but pricing is prohibitive for a 2,000 strong community that doesn't generate much revenue. Would be good to have a more affordable entry point around the $20 mark.
  • Is it updating automatically for me if anybody else comments somewhere else?
  • or it does not?!
  • Hi @djensen47, please email sales@vanillaforums.com so we can figure out what system you're currently using and the best way to get you migrated.
  • Hi @architxt, it's not yet available on the open source product. If you're looking for additional ways to monetize your community to afford one of our plans, you can contact sales@vanillaforums.com and we can work on that with you.
  • Hi @Lori, yes you can use the embedded comments without changing your customized theme. Go ahead and get it set up without changing your theme, and start a new discussion on this site if you run into any trouble or need assistance.
  • When i start using it in my rusian speaking blog, i find that when nem comments are posted, all text are using wrong codepage.

Wordpress using UTF-8
    Vanilla using UTF-8

For example you can see it in this theme http://bit.ly/J9rSHq

What can i do to solve it?
  • Howdy @sMiles, if you have an account with us for hosting your forum at vanillaforums.com, please let us know which site it is and start a new discussion so we can help you resolve your issue. If you're using the free, open source version of Vanilla Forums, you can ask the community for assistance here: http://vanillaforums.org/discussions
  • Can anyone leave a comment as a guest/anonymous without login? Vanilla seems to be lacking this feature?
  • edited December 2012
    Vanilla offers many single sign-on extensions (Facebook, Twitter, Google, WordPress, and more) but we don't support anonymous commenting.