Welcome to the new Customer Portal! We are still in the process of moving all our customers so please bear with us if you are temporarily unable to log in. You can still email support@vanillaforums.com!

I want all users to see title of private category and know to request access

Can you think of a way to allow users to request access to a private category kinda like how requesting badges works? I want all users to see title of private category and when they try to click it they get a note saying... You don't have access - but if you are a member of 'product X', then click here to request access.

Then, admin/mod can review and grant access.

Comments

• You'd have to contact sales@vanillaforums.com to have this added as a customisation I'm afraid.

• You could achieve similar functionality using Groups however, by giving that group access to a private forum. Users can then request access to the group.

• Yep. That will work. Is groups something I ask to have turned on?

• edited May 2014

Here's a workaround that I use: make a dummy category with the same name that's visible to all. When users log in they see the real category and the dummy one is hidden. It can be done with clever use of your category permissions.

• LauraLaura Support, Staff

@Savingsangel It does indeed need to be requested. Would you like me to flip groups on for you?

• edited May 2014

@Laura Yes! Thanks. Thanks @superlove - I may do that if groups doesn't work for me.

@Savingsangel, Its on! Be sure not to delete the "Social Groups" Category that was created, It is essential to groups functionality and you will scramble your permissions if you delete it.

• Not seeing this?

Groups is listed under "Activity" on your homepage.

• Got it! Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.